Aging is a series of development that begins with life and continues throughout the life cycle. It characterizes the closing period in the lifetime, a time when the person looks back on life, lives on past comings and goings and begins to finish off his life path. Adjusting to the changes that come with old age requires that an individual is flexible and develops new surviving skills to acclimatize to the changes that are common to this time in their lives (Warnick, 1995).
Reasons of depression in Old age
In the old age people usually face different physical, psychological and social changes. Some people experience loneliness and Old Age Depression due to:
- Living alone
- Lack of close family ties
- Reduce connections
- Inability to actively participate in the social activities
- Lose connection with their friendship networks
- Older people are at risk for depression and have the maximum rates of suicide in the country. But many seniors are opposed to to treatment because they don’t want to saddle their families, or associate depression with weakness or even death.
How to Cope?
It’s very important to cope your loved ones from this kind of situation. As we get older, maintaining relations with friends, family and the community can prevent feelings of loneliness and help us to stay mentally and physically healthy. There are some tips to help your loved ones for getting out of feeling of anxiety and depression.
- Take your loved one out for some outing or walk.
- Plan regular social activities or gathering.
- Lively conversations with them.
- Support the individual to follow through with treatment.
- Make sure all medications are taken as prescribed.
- Give them proper time.
- Try to understand their personality, needs as well as feelings because at old age people become so much sensitive.
Home and Health care services
Now there are different companies providing homemaking, companionship as well as home health care services. Through their professional team they provide home care assistance to your loves ones through professional home health care. Personal care assistants provide best services to give your loved ones a feeling of companionship.